The first European to visit Mombasa was a missionary pioneer from Germany called Reverend Johann Ludwig Krapf in 1846. The first mission he established was slightly inland from Mombasa Island in a village called Rabai. Rabai still exists today, and a small museum in memory of Reverend Krapf shows some of his original documents, books and maps, as well as the house and church he built there.
Rabai is situated approximately 25 kilometres north-east of Mombasa Island on the main Mombasa - Nairobi road.
His grave, along with that of his wife and new born child can be seen in Nyali on the road that runs from Tamarind Restaurant towards English Point.
Rabai Museum - National Museums of Kenya