India Acts After 3 People Heading to Nairobi Burn to Death

Indian authorities have swung into action after three people, two from Kenya, heading to Nairobi lost their lives in Mumbai after the hotel they were staying in caught fire.

The three had been stuck at Hotel Galaxy in Santacruz, Mumbai after their flight had been delayed for 14 hours.

After the tragic deaths, preliminary investigations have shown that the hotel had not complied with safety measures.

“Water and electricity have been disconnected and will not be restored till they comply,” India Chief Fire Officer Ravindra Ambulgekar stated.

The entrance of the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) in August 2019.

Investigations had further shown that the hotel’s licence had been issued a notice in November 2022 for not having a mandatory fire compliance certificate. 

The fire department revealed that even after the Santacruz-based hotel was issued with a notice, no action was taken in nine months.

Due to the glaring negligence by the hotel, authorities are now considering revoking the licence altogether. 

Additionally, the police have already registered case of accidental death.

Details of the tragedy

A young couple from Kenya and an Indian businessman lost their lives in the inferno. The young couple had gone to India to attend a wedding.

The two had planned to wed immediately after they landed in Kenya but that was never to be.

They will be buried today on Tuesday at Ramoar village in Bhuj, Gujarat. The two were originally from Gujarat 

An autopsy report showed that the two died from burn injuries and suffocation.

Authorities are waiting for the family of the businessman to reach Mumbai so they can perform an autopsy.

Galaxy Hotel in Santacruz, Mumbai.


Source link