Last month, one of Santos’ former campaign aides, Samuel Miele, was also indicted for allegedly impersonating a House leadership aide while soliciting contributions for Santos’ campaign. Miele, who was charged with wire fraud and identity theft, pleaded not guilty.
On Tuesday, however, prosecutors in his case told the court that they and Miele needed to delay a hearing “to accommodate ongoing discovery review and plea negotiations,” adding that “negotiations concerning a potential resolution of this case without the need for a trial are active and ongoing.”
Santos, who is running for reelection, has previously said he doesn’t plan to resign from the House and intends to continue his campaign. “I’m going to fight the witch hunt,” he told reporters in the hours following his arraignment. “I’m going to take care of clearing my name.”