Nairobi County Tenants To Pay Service Charge Before Returning


Nairobi County Governor Johnson Sakaja on Sunday assured Ziwani residents who previously occupied houses owned by the county government they will not be kicked out.

In a statement, Governor Sakaja instead outlined the conditions the residents will be required to meet before being allowed back into the houses.

Speaking at a fundraising church service at A.IC Ziwani, Nairobi County, Sakaja said the occupants will be allowed back after paying a service charge and after the government completes constructing and upgrading the units.

“If you have been living in our county houses and you have the book and are on our records…when we finish construction you will come back, the house is yours,” stated Sakaja.

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja at the Woodley Stadium as construction commenced on August 10, 2023

Photo

Johnson Sakaja

Sakaja also revealed before the occupants are allowed back, the county government will  first have to confirm past mortgage payments.

”All you will pay is a service charge. We are looking at what you have been paying in the past as mortgage so it’s your house,” said Governor Sakaja.

Accompanied by Makueni County Governor  Mutula Kilonzo and Transport Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen the Governor reiterated the county’s plan to complete the upgrade efficiently.

The houses that were listed for upgrade by the Nairobi County Government include houses in Huruma, Kariobangi South, Kariobangi North, Buruburu Estate, Bondeni, Ziwani, and Bahati.

Governor Sakaja picked up the facelift programme which had been started by the Nairobi Metropolitan Services under General Mohamed Badi.

After taking over, Governor Sakaja issued a notice calling for tenants, residents’ views, and participation in the impending upgrade of the county and renewal of old estates.

The plan by the Nairobi County Government aligns with the National Government’s plan under President Ruto to build Affordable Housing units.

The Kenya Kwanza administration under President William Ruto is planning to construct 1 million units by 2027.

President William Ruto inspects a housing project in Mukuru, Nairobi on Monday, October 3, 2022, (left) and the stalled housing project in Mukuru Kwa Njenga slum in Nairobi.

Photo

PCS





Source link